Wednesday, May 25, 2016

My life in Japan

So I havent written so a really really long time, and Im kind of disappointed about it!
I always get all these superb ideas or have a really funny story, that i realllllly want to share with the world, but then, I always find excuses to not to just sit my happy self down and start typing. (ADHD probs)
I have so much to share that I feel overwhelmed and don't know HOW to actually share it all. Then i make up excuses like "people wouldnt read it anyways and my writing skills are just kind of bland." I realized this is all silly nonsense, that I just need to get over concerns of being imperfectand have fun with it!
SO, here I am now and Im really excited to share some stories and point of views of mine.
I just want to share with you and the rest of the world my stories of adventure, life in japan, and health and fitness! Just a dash of everything!  Anywhoooo on to the good stuff!

SO as most of you know, I am currently living in the land of the rising sun, JAPAN! Ive already been living here for a year and a half and gone through some of the most amazing times along with some of the hardest trials I have EVER faced. Seriously, somedays feel like I have aged 40 years, and other days I feel as free and happy as a little Dandelion.
Out of all the kagillion stories and experiences, I decided to share with you THE CAR STORY first!

Driving in japan is not for the weary of heart. The roads are the size of sidewalks and somehow you're supposed to fit two cars on them, at the same time, driving quickly, towards each other, on the left side of the road . It can be a little horrifying to say the least, and a healthy dash of adrenaline rush too. WOOOO
As American military in Japan to get your licenses all you have to do is take a one hour course, a 20 question exam and score above 80%(I got 80% on the dot!) and shizam! you're handed your licenses with a smile. And away you go! "Have fun driving in Japan...and don't kill yourself!"

For the first couple months I opted to take the trains because I was so nervous to drive. However, Caleb was getting ready to head out on his first detachment, and  I took on a couple english jobs. It was time for me to suck it up, put on my big girl leggings (who wears pants anymore?) and DRIVE.

Here's where the story begins, my first time driving by myself was to my first day of teaching! It was supposed to be a fairly simple drive through the county side. I kept repeating to myself, "you got this, you got this, just follow google maps, drive slow...and you wont die." Piece of cake, no worries, all is good, right?
I started off the first 4minutes my journey STRONG
and then...
*boop*(Does your google maps boop at you too??)
I missed my first turn.
"OH haha no worries, Ill just let google maps reroute me and all will be good. Im a good driver, I got this."
Little did I know, in fact, all was not good.
Google Maps decided to redirect me over a bridge the exact width of my car. I remembered Caleb had driven over the same bridge one time before from the opposite direction, and made over safely, so I could probably make it too. There was someone behind me as well, an dthe pressure was on. So, i just took a deep breath and went for it.
New lesson learned, sometimes just goin for it...isn't always a brilliant idea.
I get to the other side of the bridge no probs but, the street perpendicular the  bridge that I needed to turn on to, was equally as narrow as the bridge, and had a retaining wall rising up right beside it with houses built on top....and I just couldn't fit my car around the turn.
"OH FUUUUUUDGE"
I tried to 20 point turn a couple of times to get the car off the bridge, however, I was literally jammed in. By this time, about 8mins later, a little japanese lady going for a walk had found my struggle pretty humorous and decided to watch and chuckle, also a couple other cars started backing up on the road.
I literally didn't know what to do.
I tried a few more times to wiggle the car out without scarpping the sides, and finally decided the car needed to take one for the team. SO i just went full on gung ho and tried to make the turn and heard the bridge walls screech down the side of the car. It sounded dreadful, but was even more dreadful was I still couldn't make the turn!
In my mirror I saw a nice looking business man walking down the street. He looked pretty nice and  at this point I had given up all hope so I jumped out of my car and yelled "tasukute!!!" Which pretty much translates to "help I'm dying" Fairly accurate, right?!
The nice man rushed over and immediatly realized what the problem was. He tried to help by directing  me for about another 10mins and realized my Subie Impreza just want going to make the turn. He seemed frustrated by the puzzle as well!
He came over to my car and told me "Watashi wa Unten shimasu." Which translates to "I will drive"
"hai hai dozo (yes yes please)" I said and quickly scrambled into the passenger seat, happily offering him the wheel.
   The man asked the other cars that had piled up behind me to back up off the bridge, then got in my car, and backed it up...a .simple task, but i couldnt have done it without him! I was SO thankful to be off that bridge! But this random mans generosity didn't stop there. He asked me where i was going and I showed him on Google maps. It was going to be about another twenty minutes away. He said he knew the area and a train station close by to my destination, so he told me he would drive me there! At first I felt really awkward and thought to myself, Oh my gosh, this is how I disappear forever. But, praise God, we made it safely to a train station just outside of town and he bowed politely telling me the rest of the drive would be easy. I wish I had something to give to this man to thank him for saving me, but, I had nothing. I just got out of the car and bowed a million times. Repeating how thankful I was. I wonder what he told his family that night when he got home late. hahaha I like to think about it and laugh.
Anyways, everyday, I am blown away by the Japanese peoples kindness and eagerness to help people, even if it means driving them 15 minutes out of the way and taking a different train home. Its pretty mind blowing and I try to learn from it on the daily. To have patience, slow down, and help those in need.
OKay! thats it for now, hope everyone has a blessed day!! :)


1 comment: