Sunday, June 30, 2013

What being fit means to me

My whole life I have been a smaller girl, so when people found out I was starting to work out and change my diet around they were like.."why?!"
However! There are major differences between being fit and healthy and just plain skinny as a rail. About 4 years ago if you asked me to run a mile I would have failed at 0.5 miles. It was about this time that I wanted to see some changes. I began by running and things just kind of shot up from there! In the fall I completed my first half marathon and it lit a new fire in me! I wanted to challenge myself more and really start living a healthy life style.

Here are a few things that I have done the past couple of months that have helped me with my fitness journey/ goals:

1: Cut out all artificial sweeteners... which means diet coke...and splenda

This here was my addiction for quite sometime. During college I would drink about 3 a day! it was bad...reeeeal bad.
I didn't think it was affecting me until I cut them out completely and started drinking water. I seriously feel like a new person.

However, don't get me wrong, I get a craving for that carbonated goodness quite often...Luckily there are some awesome substitutes out there! horayy!






Hint fizz, Honest fizz, Zevia, and la croix are all seriously amazing, naturally sweetened (with stevia), PLUS zero calories. Yay for guilt free soda!
P.S. La Croix is my favorite because its the cheapest ;)

2. Eating a good breakfast.
Plain and simple, breakfast is da bomb diggity! I really enjoy 3 egg whites with meat (usually turkey), 1/4 an avocado, and a slice of Ezekiel bread with some good ole butter. I probably eat this every morning! (I really need to change things up, any suggestions?)
A good breakfast and of course 2-3 cups of coffee gets me up and moving and ready for whatever challenges the day offers!
My favorite morning routine! Sitting on our patio and enjoying the morning sun with a cup of coffee :)

3. LIFTING (this is my new passion!)
I have been running for sometime now and unfortunately the summers in here in Florida get wicked hot! So...running has been put on hold at the moment (I still run about 3-4 miles at the gym, but I haven't been running my usual 6-8 miles doing that on a treadmill would be like a slow painful death!) and lifting is in full swing! I even got a trainer to help me. I hadn't realized before that lifting doesn't just work arms, but legs, abs, and butt! Everyone knows a tight butt is a happy butt ;) Lifting is also good for preventing osteoporosis and other bone disease. Plus at the end of each session you feel great! I lift about 3 times a week and do cardio about twice a week!

Caleb and I hit up the gym on base today!
P.S. There is a common misconception that lifting will make you huge! ...it won't! Unless you take steroids...then yeah, it probably will. 

4. Ice Cream/ Fro-yo!
Just because I like living a healthy life style doesn't mean I don't believe in splurging every now and then! Honestly, I think it is healthy to have a good splurge ;) My absolute favorite splurge is ice cream or fro yo. I don't care which one I love them both! Life would be sad without chocolate and ice cream. Usually once a week Ill have a serving of frozen yogurt. It doesn't help that there is an amazing fro yo shop right up the road from where Caleb and I live!


The main reason I want to be fit and healthy so that I can live a long healthy life. I want to be able to go on long hikes through the mountains and lift heavy things at work (or just doing chores and stuff around the house) without hurting myself. I want to be able to run long distances and achieve challenging goals. Lastly, one of these days (a million years from now) I want to be able to keep up with my kids! Also, being in shape and eating healthy just makes me feel happy and I have more energy! (Like this ADHD child needs anymore)

Have a Blessed Sunday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment